We are in the midst of a very good tomato season this year. Many varieties of heirlooms are going strong right now and we are seeing dry farmed early girl tomatoes available sooner then usual in the west. Also look for Italian varietals such as San Marzano Tomatoes from specialty sellers and Creole Tomatoes in the south.
Here are some of the classic tomato recipes that you’ll see showing up on menus:
There are endless ways of experimenting with tomatoes. Here are some ideas that go beyond your classic tomato recipe:
- “Fried Green Zebra Tomatoes”- Slice the tomato in half, sprinkle with flour, panko, or cornmeal and place under the broiler or use a blow torch to crisp the top.
- BLT Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette- Bacon, lettuce, and tomato is the perfect sandwich combination and is just as good for a salad. Make a creamy vinaigrette out of avocado and champagne vinegar.
- Tomato Napoleon- Layer tomatoes with cheese and basil or pesto and any other seasonal vegetables.
- Tomato Tarte- Fill a savory tart shell with a tomato mixture.
- Tomato Sorbet- Perfect as an intermezzo or addition to a dessert. Also can be added to oysters on the half shell.