There are many colorful varieties of summer squash and zucchini thriving at the markets right now. Summer squash is a versatile vegetable and there are lots of creative ways to prepare them. Many of the young summer squashes can be plated even without seeing any heat. Here are some great ways for using them raw:
- Squash Carpaccio- Thin slice squash, zucchini, onion, add lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, parsley, dill, basil and top with shaved parmesan cheese. Recipe: Herbivoracious.
- “Spaghetti”- Julienne lengthwise to create “spaghetti”. Can be blanched or raw and used as a substitute for noodles.
- “Ribbons”- Slice thin with a mandoline lengthwise to create ribbons. Mix with herbs & vinaigrette and serve with microgreens.
Some of the cooking methods for summer squash are to roast, sauté, bake, braise, stew, or grill. Another good use is to dredge, batter or tempura and then deep fry. Here are some ideas for cooking summer squashes:
- Ratatouille- Sauté in olive oil- garlic, onion, cured anchovy, bell pepper, summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, tomato, olive oil, herbs, and then braise. Recipe: Chow.
- Vegetable Tian- Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil and then layer zucchini, summer squash, tomato, potato, add herbs and parmesan cheese and then bake in the oven. Recipe: Deliciously Organic.
- Samfaina- Sauté in olive oil- garlic, onion, bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant, tomato, and then braise. Recipe: Joyce Goldstein via SF Weekly.